As the end of the year approaches, we wanted to thank our members, campaigners and followers for their support in 2017; in our effort to help Disabled and older people travelling.
But as you know, there is still so much more to be done. Even though we live in one of the richest cities in the world there are still too many Disabled and older people trapped in their homes or not living their lives to the full.
through our helpline we hear daily how:
- Wheelchair and mobility scooter users are routinely refused access to buses and the Tube;
- Assistance dog users are illegally charged more by some minicab drivers;
- Dial-a-Ride still won’t go further than five miles.
For many, accessible transport can mean the difference between work and unemployment, a lifeline to friends and family or isolation. 2018 comes with its challenges and opportunities for us:
- Pedestrianisation of Oxford Street – how can we ensure right of access for Disabled and older people when buses are removed?
- Improving bus services and making sure bus companies and their drivers are doing their job properly;
- Holding the Mayor to account regarding his Transport Strategy;
- Improving Taxicard, Dial-a-Ride and Blue Badge and campaigning to ensure that people with invisible impairments are eligible.
Together we can meet these challenges. We must respond to these challenges!
Here are a few ways you could unlock London’s transport in 2018:
1) if you are not a TfA member:
You can help by becoming a member of Transport for All and/or donating today*.
The membership is £10 a year. We understand that for some people the fee could be a significant cost, but your contribution would be a huge help to us. The fee and any donation will support Transport for All’s helpline in its effort to support Disabled and older people who struggle to travel in London every day. It will also support our campaigns, which champion the rights of Disabled and older people to travel with freedom and independence in our great city.
If you would like to become a member but cannot afford the £10 fee then please do contact us. We will never exclude anyone who is unable to pay.
2) If you are already a member
Here’s how you can support us in 2018:
- Donate regularly towards our cause. You can make a donation via our PayPal webpage. Alternatively, you can send your donation to Transport for All, Membership, 336 Brixton Road, SW9 7AA. If you would like to set up a regular payment please contact Julia (email@example.com / 020 7737 2339)
- Invite a friend or member of your family to become a member. If each member recruited another member, TfA would double in size next year, and be even stronger in our influence and reach.
- Renew your membership, when it’s time to do so.
We look forward to your continued support.Yours sincerely,Transport for All