Skip navigation.
Do you have any transport access issues?
Dial-a-Ride? Blue Badge? Journey planning? Complaints? Contact us!
Call us on: 020 7737 2339


Motoring Information

For many people, having a car is an integral part of independent living.

Cars can be adapted in many different ways to suit many impairments, but the first thing you need is a driving licence.

Provisional driving licence

Firstly you need to apply for a provisional licence. The minimum age requirement is 17, unless you receive the higher rate mobility allowance, then you can apply when you are 16 years old.

You can order the Provisional Licence Form D1 online, collect the form from the Post Office, or apply online.

When you apply for your Provisional Driving Licence, you must ensure that you advise the DVLA of any medical conditions that may affect your ability to drive. Failure to advise the DVLA of such a condition(s) is punishable by a fine of £1,000.
Download a DVLA Customer Service Guide for Drivers with Medical Conditions
Applications will go straight to a medical team at the DVLA. Your licence take up to 3 weeks to arrive but if DVLA have concerns about your ability to drive then your application may take longer and they may ask you to provide a medical report.


The Queen Elizabeth Foundation offer Driving and Car Adaptation assessments for those who are unsure about which vehicle type or for those whose who want to determine if it is safe to return to the road. Call 020 8770 1151 or click here to find out more about these assessments.

Please note, these assessments are not compulsory and there is a charge.

Before the practical driving test, you must take a Driving Theory test, which are available in a range of accessible formats.
Click here to book your theory test

Driving lessons

All new drivers should have professional driving lessons and disabled learner drivers may want to look for instructors who have specialist knowledge of their needs.
BSM have instructors and adapted vehicle. Contact them to find your nearest instructor: 0844 247 5240
Experienced instructors can teach you more than how to drive, including:

• how to get in and out of the car more easily
• how to get your wheelchair in and out of the car (if applicable)
• how to operate any adapted controls

If you are aged between 16 and 24, Motability may be able to offer financial support towards the cost of driving lessons.

Practical driving test

Disabled drivers may be allowed extra time for their test. This is to allow you to explain to your examiner the nature and function of any adaptations you use, and to allow you extra time to get in and out of the car. Please ensure you or your instructor informs the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) of your access requirements when booking your test.

Buying an adapted vehicle

Once you have passed your test there are several options.

Road tax

If you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or War Pensioners Mobility Supplement, you are entitled to an exemption from road tax.
Take your exemption certificate DLA 404 or the Certificate of Entitlement to a Post Ofice branch that issues tax discs, along with your full vehicle registration certificate (V5C), insurance certificate and MOT certificate.

Congestion charge

Once you have registered your car as in the exemption class for road tax, your vehicle is automatically exempt from the congestion charge.
Blue Badge holders are also entitled to register 2 cars as exempt from the congestion charge.

TfA banner: did you find this content useful? please consider supporting our actions for a transport network accessible to all! donate today.

Dartford Crossing

Exemptions for disabled people.

If your car is registered disabled and do not pay vehicle tax because you’re disabled – you are exempt from paying Dartford Crossing charge.

Please be aware that you’ll still have to pay if:

You don’t need to do anything to get the exemption. Your vehicle details will be checked with DVLA when crossings are made in your vehicle.

Pay the Dart charge

Dartford Chargers apply every day from 6am to 10pm. If your car is not registered disabled and you do not have the Disabled Road Tax, you would like to make a payment. call them on 0300 300 0120 to mae a payment. For more information about the charges and other ways to pay, please visit Dartford Crossing website


When insuring your vehicle, it is important that you inform your insurance company of any modifications. Failure to do so may result in your insurance not being valid.


You can purchase, lease or hire an adapted motor vehicle VAT-free when all the following conditions are met:

For further information read the HMRC factsheet

Further information

DirectGov – Disabled people and motoring
Read our guide to the Blue Badge and the Motability Scheme

Disabled Motoring UK (formerly Mobilise) are a nationwide membership organisation. The charity campaigns on behalf of all disabled motorists, passengers and Blue Badge holders.
Disabled Motorists Federation

TfA banner: do you have any more questions? we provide expert information and advice on all transport services and benefits. contact us.