Two days ago, Transport for London (TfL) informed the public that as part of the World Car Free Day, around 50 streets across London from Hackney to Ealing will be traffic free on the 22nd of September. Please see below for a full list of streets taking part in this event.
The objective is to encourage people to ditch their cars and reclaim streets from traffic, which will open up spaces to the whole community; celebrating street play, air quality, walking and cycling.
While the intention is good, we want to ensure that Disabled and older people will be able to take part fully in this community day, by being able to travel as they would normally do. We have contacted Transport for London asking them:
- If Blue Badge holders and Door-to-Door services users will be affected
- If buses will still be running as usual
- What is being done to ensure the safety of Disabled and older people and especially Visually Impaired people. We know that creating shared spaces can be dangerous for Disabled and older pedestrians.
Transport for London told us that there will be a steward at each end of the streets affected by the closures- and that Blue Badge holders and Door-to-Door services will still be able to travel as usual (just speak with the steward).
Be extra careful if you walk on the actual road. If there is any issue, speak with the steward at the closed streets.
Bus routes will only be affected in Greenwich. See the following information from TfL.
TfL information about buses in Greenwich for the 22nd September.
Royal borough of Greenwich will be holding the Greenwich Car Free Day event in Greenwich Town Centre. To facilitate the event the following traffic management arrangements have been made:
1. King William Walk and College Walk will be closed
2. Nelson Road will be converted into two way traffic.
3. Creek Road will be only one way (Eastbound – towards Thamesmead) between Well and Street and Greenwich Church Street.
4. Reverse traffic flow in Greenwich Church Street.
5. Greenwich High Road will be One way (Southbound – toward Deptford) between Norman Road and Nelson Road.
Buses will be diverted as follows:
- Routes 129 and 286 towards Cutty Sark and Queen Mary’s Hospital: From Nelson Road junction with Greenwich High Road, left Greenwich High Road, right Norman Road, right Creek Road, stand on the Temporary bus stand located on Creek Road.
- Routes 129 and 286 towards North Greenwich: From Temporary bus stand on Creek Road, ahead Creek Road, right Greenwich Church Street, left Nelson Road, ahead Romney Road to normal line of route.
- Routes 177 towards Thamesmead: From Greenwich High Road junction with Norman Road, left Norman Road, right Creek Road, right Greenwich Church Street, left Nelson Road, ahead Romney Road to normal line of route.
- Route 180 and 386 towards Belvedere and Woolwich: From Greenwich South Street junction with Greenwich High Road, left Greenwich High Road, right Norman Road, right Creek Road, right Greenwich Church Street, left Nelson Road, ahead Romney Road to normal line of route.
- Route 188 towards North Greenwich: From Creek Road junction with Greenwich Church Street, right Greenwich Church Street, left Nelson Road, ahead Romney Road to normal line of route.
- Route 188 towards Russel Square: From Nelson Road junction with Greenwich High Road, left Greenwich High Road, right Norman Road, left Creek Road to normal line of route.
- Route 199 towards Canada Water: From Greenwich South Street junction with Greenwich High Road, left Greenwich High Road, right Norman Road, left Creek Road to normal line of route.
- Route 199 towards Catford: From Greenwich Church Street junction with Creek Road, right Greenwich Church Street, ahead Greenwich High Road to normal line of route.
The full list of streets taking part in this event are as follows:
- Borough: Road
- Barnet: Woodfield Drive
- Camden: Islip Street Kentish Town School
- Ealing: Dordrecht Road
- Ealing: Boileau Road
- Ealing: Brentham Way & Winscombe Crescent
- Ealing: St Mark’s Road
- Ealing: Bradley Gardens
- Ealing: Salisbury Road
- Enfield: Amberley Road
- Enfield: Riverside Gardens
- Enfield: Granville Road
- Enfield: Lovell Road (Honilands Primary School)
- Enfield: Ollerton Road
- Enfield: Burlington Road
- Greenwich: Greenwich Town Centre
- Hackney: Albion Drive
- Hackney: Forest Grove
- Hackney: Oldfield Road
- Hackney: Coopersale Road
- Hackney: Woodberry Down Estate
- Hackney: Middleton Road
- Hackney: Harcombe Road
- Hackney: Lewis Place
- Hackney: Sharon Gardens
- Hackney: Navarino Mansions
- Hackney: Winston Road
- Hackney: Foulden Road
- Hackney: Pembury Estate
- Hackney: Daubeney Road
- Hackney: Roding Road
- Hackney: Herbert Butler Estate
- Haringey: Mount Pleasant Road
- Haringey: Perth Road
- Islington: Giesbach Road
- Kingston upon Thames: Mill Street
- Lambeth: Priory Grove
- Lambeth: Barnwell Road
- Newham: Tylney Road
- Newham: Cecil Road
- Newham: Mafeking Road
- Newham: Dyson Rd
- Newham: Sidney Rd
- Richmond: Crown Road
- Richmond: Whittaker Avenue
- Southwark: Upland Road
- Southwark: Melbourne Grove
- Southwark: Bermondsey Street
- Waltham Forest: Pevensey Road