Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Disabled persons Freedom Pass

Disabled persons Freedom Pass

Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass 

A disabled person of any age who is a permanent London resident can apply for the Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass. This pass allows the passenger to travel for free 24/7 across the majority of the TfL network. Sometimes, there are time restrictions on certain National Rail lines. Please check with Transport for London for more information.  



Automatic Eligibility 

You are automatically eligible for a Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass if your sole residence is in London and if you fall under any of the following criteria: 

  • People who get the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA) 
  • People who get the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), where the applicant has been awarded at least eight points against either the PIP “Moving around” and/or “Communicating verbally” activities 
  • People who are War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS) 
  • People who are blind or partially sighted 
  • People who are profoundly or severely deaf 
  • People without speech 
  • People who do not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms 
  • People who have a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning 
  • People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk 
  • People who would, if he applied for the grant of a license to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol 


Non-Automatic Eligibility 

Certain boroughs can issue a Discretionary Freedom Pass to disabled people who do not meet the automatic eligibility criteria. Please contact your local council for more information. 



If you wish to apply, you need to obtain an application form from your council. Please find a list of boroughs on the London Councils website listed at the beginning of this document.  You will need to provide a proof of ID and address, alongside any other documents listed in your council’s application form. You will also need to provide a passport sized photograph. 


For more information:  

Tel: 0300 330 1433


Last updated: March 2021

Share this advice:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Skip to content