Skip navigation.
Do you have any transport access issues?
Dial-a-Ride? Blue Badge? Journey planning? Complaints? Contact us!
Call us on: 020 7737 2339

Freedom Pass

Freedom Pass Information

A Freedom Pass entitles the holder to 24-hour free travel across Transport for London’s networks, except for some river boats where travel is half price.

Travel is free for Freedom Pass holders on London Underground, Overground, DLR and all bus services 24 hours a day. Travel on rail services is also free but on some routes the freedom pass is not valid before 09.30. Please check when and where section of the Freedom Pass website before you travel to avoid getting fined. Since 31st May 2015 you can use your Freedom Pass 24 hours a day on new services taken over by Transport for London: Liverpool Street to Shenfield ; Liverpool Street to Enfield Town, Cheshunt or Chingford ; Services between Romford and Upminster via Emmerson Park.

We would like to draw to your attention that there has been some cuts on Freedom Passes about two year ago or so and, the eligibility processes have been made more stringent. Thus mental health service users are no longer meet the eligibility criteria for a Disabled Person Freedom Pass. However, some mental health service users who, if they applied for a driving licence and their application was turned down because of the medication they take. In this case, they automatically qualify for a Disabled Person Freedom Pass under the number 7 of the following criteria : People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

Older persons Freedom Pass – How to Apply ?

If you were 60 or over on 6th April 2010 you are automatically entitled to a Freedom Pass. You can apply online (click here), or pick up the form at local libraries and council customer service centres (Please note that it’s no longer possible to apply for a Freedom Pass at the Post Office).

Please make sure you do not use photocopies of application forms as each from contains a barcode and a unique number which is used to track individual applications.

If you live in Camden you need to phone 020 7974 6435 / 5919 to apply directly to the Council. You will be asked to provide an email address. You will be sent an email to confirm your email address. Then enter your name and address details and upload the required documents including a photograph.

You can still send in your documents by post if you cannot upload them online. You will be sent a verification letter to send back with your documents.

Due to the rise in the state pension age, you are no longer automatically entitled to a Freedom Pass on your 60th birthday. The age of eligibility will rise incrementally between 2010 and 2020. The earliest age for men and women to get concessionary travel passes will therefore rise gradually, from 60 on 6 April 2010 to 65 on 5 April 2020.

You can check when you can apply for your Freedom Pass by using the online eligibility calculator
or call our information line on 020 7737 2339.

If your Freedom Pass has a rose symbol on it, you can use it on most local bus networks in England.

TfA banner: did you find this content useful? please consider supporting our action for a transport network accessible to all! donate today.

Disabled Persons Freedom Pass – How to Apply ?

A disabled person of any age can apply for this pass, as long as you meet one of the following criteria:

To obtain a Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass you must apply directly to your local council. Most councils now have the application forms available to download from their websites. Alternatively you can call your council and ask them to post you a form or we can print off the relevant form and send it to you:

Top Tips

The criteria for the Disabled Persons’ Freedom Pass have been laid down by the Dept for Transport in the Transport Act 2000. However they are interpreted differently from borough to borough. A number of local authorities may ask you to attend an eligibility assessment carried out by Occupational Therapists. You may be asked questions about your impairments – as well as being monitored while you walk a certain distance.

If you do not receive any of the state benefits listed under the automatic eligibility criteria, or are not registered blind, partially-sighted, or profoundly or severely deaf. We advise you to submit any medical evidence with your application form and take them with you to the assessment if you were offered one. Make sure your medical evidence are from a consultant. This is because Dept for Transport advise local authorities that using an applicant’s GP to verify that an individual meets the criteria for a concessionary travel pass is unsatisfactory.

You may also be asked how you have traveled to the assessment itself.

If you feel that you do meet the above criteria but have been refused a disabled persons pass – then contact us and we may be able to help you lodge an appeal.

TfA banner: did you find this content useful? please consider supporting our action for a transport network accessible to all! donate today.

Replacement Passes

Freedom Pass holders who lose or damage their cards will be charged for replacements. Pass holders can pay by debit or credit cards over the telephone.

If your card is faulty you will be asked to make a payment of £12 and a new card will be ordered. You will have 5 days in which to return the faulty card along with a covering letter (including your telephone number) to the Freepost address once your new card has arrived: Freepost, Freedom Pass Returns. Upon receipt of your faulty pass London Councils will test the pass to confirm that the pass is faulty and not damaged. A refund of £12 will be given if the card is proven to be faulty.

Call the Freedom Pass helpline to request a new card.
The Freedom Pass helpline is 0300 330 1433 (This new number will be charged at a local rate and call charges are lower using land lines and mobiles. The existing number will run in parallel with the new one for a limited period only so please update your records accordingly)

More information about the scheme can be found online at and an information leaflet is available in a variety of languages.

Transferring your 60+ Oyster card to a Freedom Pass online

As you know, your 60+ Oyster card will stop when you become eligible for the Older Person Freedom Pass.

As long as you didn’t opt out of TFL sharing your data with London Councils, you will be sent a letter asking you to confirm your name and address. You can do it online

Once They received confirmation of your details they will issue you with a new Freedom Pass.

English National Concessionary Travel Scheme

If you’re from outside London and have a bus pass issued by another English council, you can use it, at any time, to travel free on buses displaying the red roundel.

You should show your pass to the driver; at the moment they can’t be read by the yellow card readers. If the bus you’re on doesn’t display the red roundel, check with the driver if you can use it; most will let you travel free between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays, and at any time on weekends and public holidays.

English National Concessionary Passes issued by English councils outside London can’t be used on Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail or National Rail services, according to TfL website.

TfA banner: do you have any more questions? we provide expert information and advice on all transport services and benefits. contact us.